Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Shuttle features Q and A

I was reading comments on Noreen's Blog and a nice person asked if my shuttles would eventually cut the weft?
No, I would hope not as I very carefully and sometimes painstakingly file down the sharp bits so that they are smooth and rounded.

Very smooth a smooth shuttle makes Clancy a happy man.

Granted some of the inside cuts on names and shapes can not be filed down but they are not in direct contact with the weft so not going to cut the fine threads.

When I first started out it was pointed out to me that some of the silk that weavers use is very expensive.

I am extra careful on the smoothing process to make sure that the contact edges are not sharp at all.

Another asked about the shape?
I make it in form that looks like a person with their arms above their head. Think of it as a diver diving through the water.
I think it is a cool shape and most everyone agrees it is my shtick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As for your shuttles cutting the warp or the weft, I can attest to the fact that they move through the shed beautifully. I have woven miles with your shuttles and have never had them do anything nasty or the least bit unpleasant to either the warp or the weft!
:) Am I biased about your shuttles? Of course I am! (seeing as I am the Mum of your Beloved )but would I ever accept a shuttle that wasn't great?
Nope. Your shuttles are lovely, Clancy and I just love 'em. They're the bees knees, and so are you!