Monday, August 6, 2007

How far I have come.


If you ever get involved with a craft or art and you get the chance to revisit something you have done in the past. I would highly recommend doing it. Just reach into the bottom of the box or back of the closet and pull it out and try it again.


I tell you it is a wonderful experience.


Recently I was lucky enough to get one of my first prototype shuttles back from Noreen (thanks) and was a little disheartened by the crude nature of it. But it struck me this was the first run of the remake of the replacement for the Lilly speed O weave shuttle. Noreen had only one for her many kits and said the aluminum did not have a great feel so I put blade to metal and came up with a replica of the aluminum shuttle.


It did not have the splendor I had hoped for but it was a good shuttle so we got talking and decided to make the opening bigger and more room for the weft. I hand drilled some bigger holes and tried it again. Nope, it did not have the flare I was hoping for. I was wandering around Noreen's studio and saw this wonderful shape burned onto wood and thought hmm... lets try that!


Wow that went over like a hot air balloon.


But it needed a little fine touch the neck needed to be pronounced. So tada we have the shape you see before you. Back to the point I remade the small shuttle today in my workshop and you know I feel a great bit of pride with my new version however still extremely happy with the original.


It's neat to see how far I have come in this craft. So if you ever want a pick me up and a self pat on the back try a old project again and give it new life you will really see how far you have come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your work just continues to get better, Clancy! Yay!
You have indeed come a long way! I look forward to seeing what other wonders you will be making!
hugs
Noreen