Friday, July 27, 2007

Start of a Project

I was asked to start a Blog by a dear friend.
What is a shuttle well it as a device used to move weft between the gate of a loom.
I make weaving shuttles.

I recently made a cottage business selling shuttles Durusuo Custom Weaving Shuttles.
Exit plans are cool.
Why ?
Because I can and I like to make something that is of real value. Both historical and practical
I have been making shuttles for about 6 months
My Soon to be wife is a fiber artist and Puppateer her Mom is a well a very skilled Artist.
I only work with hand tools and only the finishing is done by machine.
Metal is my medium as wood has already been done and it is just not got the feel I find.
I have done allot of personal soul searching in my quest to build a good shuttle and I hope I can share some of it with you.
Noreen Crone-Findlay at
http://www.hankeringforyarn.com/ is my soon to be Mother in law she has given me allot of guidance in the building of this little project.
Tools;
My primary tool is a Jewelers saw if you do not know what one is then you are lucky as I am a right handed it is built for a lefty someones idea of a sick joke if you ask me. (no they do not make any for regular folks),
a ruler,
and a really cool bead punch I picked up on eBay,
as well as a large assortment of files of all shapes and sizes from standard to just about toothpick size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Clancy!
and welcome to the world of blogging!
I hope lots of people will discover
the wonders of your shuttles! they are great!
big hugs
Noreen :D