Saturday, July 28, 2007

More from the workbench

I have created with some guidance a few different shuttles some of them very plain others more elaborate but I figured I should let every one know about the weaving shuttle itself. A tool that has been used by humans since we first started to make clothing out of well anything (leather not included) Most weaving shuttles are made of wood and or bone with some even made from shell. Modern shuttles that I have seen have been made of plastic and or aluminum and yes wood and shell.

So what do you look for in a shuttle?
1. Does it feel good in your hand ?
2. Is it right for your loom?
3. Is it right for your project?
4.Load capacity how much weft can it hold?
5. as all ways personal preference do I like it?

Feeling good in your hand is one of the most important things to look for in a shuttle as if you like the feel it is not work it is a joy.

Right for your loom if you are using a small band loom you do not want to use a boat shuttle although it meets the feel good and capacity it is not right for your loom.

Right for your project if the shuttle does not fit you should not use it.

Load capacity there are some shuttles out there that look fantastic but carry a yard or two of weft so you are constantly having to refill it. Think of it like using a wheelbarrow for a dirt move job if you had a pickup it would take 1 trip to the 5 or 10 by wheelbarrow.

Personal preference I like it my dad liked it his mom liked it so I am going to use it.

This is what I think from my workbench.

No comments: